This post is mostly a photographic presentation of monuments from Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Chiang Mai is the largest city in northern Thailand and the capital of Chiang Mai Province. It is 700 km (435 mi) north of Bangkok near the highest mountains in the country.
Chiang Mai (meaning “New City” in Thai) was founded in 1296 as the new capital of Lan Na, succeeding the former capital, Chiang Rai.
The city’s strategic location on the Ping River (a major tributary of the Chao Phraya River) and its proximity to major trading routes contributed to its historic importance.
Chiang Mai has over 300 Buddhist temples (“wat” in Thai).
Chiang Mai, Town wall (below)
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is a Theravada Buddhist temple (wat) in Chiang Mai Province, Thailand.
The temple is often referred to as “Doi Suthep” although this is actually the name of the mountain where it’s located.
It is a sacred site to many Thai people. The temple is 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) from the city of Chiang Mai and situated at an elevation of 1,073 meters.
(Important Note: ALL photographs of this article added to the sourced texts by NovoScriptorium after kind courtesy of our friend Ben Lee – ALL photographs originally taken by Ben Lee)